Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lesson 9: Continued

I was hoping to have my nieces and nephew work on my lesson idea this past week, but they turned out to be rather uncooperative.  My nephew (12 years old) did give me an idea about a memory he had from when he was "a little boy."  Coming up on Mother's Day, this seemed appropriate:


This incorporates a lot of the ideas I had for this lesson on memories such as: combining a visual representation with text, remembering the sights, sounds, emotions, etc... of the moment (in this case the smell and taste of burnt waffles!), and using metaphor to transform emotion into poetic form.  This reminded my of my friend's father who always asked for burnt toast because that's how his late wife always used to make it.  I hope to have a conversation with my nephew tonight in order to implement some of the other steps in the lesson plan, flesh out the idea visually, and get his comments on the process.  This will bring into play the further contemporary art elements of collaboration and layering.

No comments:

Post a Comment