Tuesday, January 18, 2011

1: Public Pedagogy Meet & Greet



"He lives in a pineapple under the sea." This is how my friend introduced me to the show "Spongebob Squarepants" about 10 years ago.  After watching a few episodes, I could easily see how this cartoon appealed to both children and adults.  In a Bugs Bunnyesque way, there were many jokes obviously aimed at a knowing older audience, with plenty of slapstick humor for all to enjoy. Psychedelic, underwater set design provided eye candy for all viewers as well.  After 10+ years of watching the show and its huge popularity among all ages, I've come to see the show as more than just an entertaining cartoon that appeals to children, parents and other adults.  First of all, Spongebob himself exudes gender neutrality, while other gender issues are explored as well (e.g. the tomboyish Sandy Squirrel and images such as Patrick Star in high heels and fishnets as seen above).  For an interesting exploration of these issues, I reccomend an article from Bitch magazine http://bitchmagazine.org/article/dumb-getting-dumber
 Furthermore, I feel the show creates a space whereby children are free to be children, while also creating a space for adults to feel free to explore their own childlike natures. 

4 comments:

  1. I never got through a whole show of Sponge Bob. My students love(ed) it so I bought a Sponge Bob tie. I don't wear it any more because I thought it was and "old" show. Is it still "in" with the kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also not a fan (not my type of humor) and haven't seen many full episodes, if any, BUT Spongebob is a big part of my teaching life. My first year, I bought yellow sponges to dry paintbrushes (instead of using disposable towels). The kids thought the yellow sponges looked like Spongebob! Well the name stuck. Spongebob is the art class name for the yellow sponge that you use to dry your paintbrush...


    (in the second half of this post, you can see a picture of our art class Spongebob in action http://artabroad.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-was-trying-to-decide-today-which.html)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's really interesting that you brought up the gender neutrality seen in Spongbob. I never would've thought it had a character named Patrick that dressed in fishnets and knee-high boots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned about SpongeBob initially from my niece. She had me laughing with her descriptions. While I see SpongeBob referenced, enlarging the sphere of influence, in many products (pajamas, cereal, t-shirts, napkins, towels, toys, stickers, games, radios), I have not watched an episode. Life at the bottom of the sea is a site of fantasy. Both the Bitch article that Rodney directed us and a Wikipedia overview describes a gay following of SpongeBob Square Pants. Rodney, you state SpongeBob is gender neutral and the article you directed us too describes “Spongebob’s sexual proclivities.” I found this interpretation by Judith Halberstam unique among popular portrayals of masculinity: “Spongebob ultimately tells boys that it’s okay to be a boy rather than a man, that manhood is exploitative and competitive, and that business and pleasure, in the end, depend upon figuring out new ways to access the responsibilities of male adulthood without the violence and injustice that so often accompany it” (cited from http://bitchmagazine.org/article/dumb-getting-dumber). I am encouraged by and welcome spheres of influence that are alternatives to narrow views of masculinity.

    ReplyDelete